French Style Lentil and Quinoa Salad
Serving size: 4
¾ cup McKenzie’s French Style Lentils
¾ cup quinoa
1 red apple, quartered, cored and sliced finely
1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced finely into batons
3 celery stalks, sliced finely
5 spring onions, sliced finely
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbs oil
1 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp lime or lemon juice
1. Place lentils and ¾ cup water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Prepare and cook quinoa as per directions on packs. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. To prepare dressing, place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
4. In a salad bowl, combine cooked and well drained lentils and quinoa, apple, cucumber, celery and spring onions. Pour over dressing and mix well.
• Red, black or white quinoa can be used in this recipe. Quinoa is an ancient seed. It is low GI, gluten free, a source of calcium, magnesium, iron and high in fibre, among many other nutrients.
• Quinoa can be found in the health food aisle of the supermarket.
Recipe courtesy of Go Grains Health & Nutrition Ltd, www.gograins.com.au