Thinking about Christmas food can be tricky enough without having to factor in dietary needs or allergies. Fortunately, there are loads of options available so family members don’t need to miss out.
For someone that is egg free and dairy free these little pavlovas should hit the sweet spot after lunch or dinner. Anyone can enjoy.
This recipe incorporates chickpeas which gives these mini pavlovas a nice texture, while boosting the fibre content.
Egg Free, Dairy Free Mini Berry Pavlovas
(+2 hrs soaking, 4 hrs cooling time)
- 400g can chickpeas
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1¼ cups (200g) pure icing sugar
- 1kg dairy-free coconut yoghurt
- ¼ cup (80g) raspberry jam, warmed
- 125g raspberries, halved, to serve
- 125g blueberries
- 250g strawberries, halved
- Chopped pistachios, to serve
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. Place the reserved chickpea liquid in a bowl in the fridge for 2 hours or until chilled. (Reserve the chickpeas in an airtight container in the fridge for another use.)
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Beat chickpea liquid in the bowl of an electric mixer for 5 mins or until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar and beat until combined. Gradually add icing sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating for 10 mins or until mixture is thick and sugar dissolves.
- Place meringue mixture in a large piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain nozzle. Pipe thirty-two 6cm discs onto the lined trays, about 2cm apart. Use a spoon to smooth the tops.
- Place trays in oven and reduce oven to 100°C. Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off. Leave meringues in oven, with door ajar, for 4 hours or overnight to cool completely.
- Place yoghurt in a bowl. Add the jam and gently stir to marble. Top meringues with yoghurt mixture, raspberry, blueberries, strawberry and pistachio.
Recipe can be found in the latest Coles magazine. This is not a sponsored post by any means, I just enjoy the recipes.
This post first appeared on That Healthy Girl blog and was written by Madeleine Baumgart, https://thathealthygirl.com.au/2018/12/05/egg-free-dairy-free-mini-berry-pavlovas