This week a young boy from Victoria died after consuming raw, unpasteurised cow’s milk. This is very sad news. As a parent to be, I can only imagine the heartbreak that they must be enduring. I am sure that the milk was given to him in good faith, unfortunately the milk proved to be deadly for him.
Unpasteurised milk comes with a stern health warning, and for a very real reason.
Unpasteurised milk is illegal for sale for human consumption in Australia. Some health food outlets sell unpasteurised milk with a label that states for bathing or cosmetic purposes only, not for human consumption.
Pasteurisation involves heating milk to about 72°c, where it is held at this temperature for at least 15 seconds, then immediately chilled to 4°c or less. By law, this process must be performed to all milk made available for human consumption. It ensures that harmful bacteria such as campylobacter, cryptosporidiosis, shiga toxin-producing e. Coli, and listeria monocytogenes are destroyed, reducing the risk of gastrointestinal upset, and even death from listeriosis and haemolytic uraemic syndrome.
Bottom line, pasteurisation exists for a reason, and should not be ignored. Should you choose to drink unpasteurised milk or provide it to a child, you should be VERY aware that you are taking the risk into your own hands, and that the risk of side effects is very real, as seen this week.
Nutrient losses during pasteurisation of milk are minimal. Milk is still a vital source of nutrition, offering up to 10 important vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, riboflavin, zinc and high quality protein. All of these combine to offer a nutritional drink.
I urge you to make informed decisions when choosing food and drink for yourself and family.
Thanks for stopping by,
Madeleine (That Healthy Girl).